Sunday, May 29, 2011

Learn From My Running Mistakes

When I started long-distance running, I learned a lot through trial and error (big emphasis on the error part). To help other runners avoid similar painful lessons, here are some tidbits of wisdom.

Mistake No. 1: Ignoring a sore calf muscle, I pushed through a hill workout and turned a minor strain into a pulled muscle.

Try this instead: Don’t force strenuous workouts when you’re injured. Take a few rest days or cross-train (as long as it’s pain-free) instead of running.

Mistake No. 2: The day before my first marathon, I bought a new shirt and running shorts, thinking that running in a new outfit would give me a little motivation boost. I spent a good part of the race adjusting my new shorts.

Try this instead: When it comes to clothes, shoes, food (both before and during races), drinks and gear, stick with your “tried and true” favorites for races.

Mistake No. 3: My sister and I ran our first marathon together, and we were so worried about staying hydrated that we sipped water right up until the race start. The result? Our 26.2-mile journey included many stops at the porta-potties.

Try this instead: Hydrating before a big race or a long run is crucial, but you should cut yourself off at least 60 minutes before starting, to allow your body time to get rid of excess fluids.

Mistake No. 4: I bought running shoes that were the same size as my regular shoes. When I ran, my toes were jammed up against the front of my shoe, which led to a couple of black toenails.

Try this instead: Your feet swell when you run, so you should wear at least a half size bigger than your street shoes to get extra room in your toe box. Go to a specialty running shop to get properly fitted for running shoes.

What running mistakes have you made?

Source: http://www.asicsamerica.com/blog/post/2011/05/06/Learn-From-My-Running-Mistakes.aspx

Fila Asics New Balance Kenneth Cole Cole Haan

No comments:

Post a Comment